Advocates railed against the $60 million shortfall -- created after federal regulators rejected a plan to tax Medicaid managed care providers -- and urged lawmakers to reject a budget that includes the cuts.
North Carolina Health News: Advocates For Seniors, Disabled Rail Against State Medicaid Cuts
About a hundred seniors and people with disabilities and their advocates descended on the General Assembly to buttonhole legislators over proposed Medicaid cuts passed in last week’s Senate budget. Red-shirted groups of people crowded the doors of House members asking them not to concur with the Senate budget and asking them to restore cuts to the state and county special assistance program that provides services to thousands of seniors and people with disabilities who live in adult-care homes and receive in-home assistance that’s subsidized by Medicaid (Hoban, 6/4).
Raleigh News & Observer: McCrory Says His Medicaid Budget Has $60 Million Shortfall
Federal regulators have rejected a plan from Gov. Pat McCrory’s administration to tax some managed-care Medicaid providers as a way to draw down more federal money for the state budget. The result is a $60 million hole in the Medicaid budget that McCrory acknowledged Tuesday -- and some angry state senators who included the maneuver in the spending plan they approved last week (Neff, 6/3).
The Associated Press: Senior-care Groups Criticize Senate Medicaid Cuts
Advocates for seniors and the disabled urged N.C. House lawmakers on Tuesday to reject a state Senate budget that could take more than 15,000 disabled and elderly people off the Medicaid rolls. About 50 people spoke out against the Senate budget plan Tuesday at a news conference held by the N.C. Coalition on Aging, comprising 30 groups from across the state. Lou Wilson of the N.C. Association of Long Term Care Facilities said the Medicaid cuts would force adult-care homes to discharge residents whose benefits are cut because of a lack of money to operate the facility (Ferral, 6/3).