Health Officials Anticipate 6 Million H1N1 Vaccine Doses By Early October

U.S. health officials announced Thursday that "[m]ore than six million doses of swine flu vaccine will be available by the first week in October, more that twice as many as had been recently expected," The New York Times reports. Most of that vaccine "will be the FluMist nasal spray, which is recommended only for people ages 2 to 49 and not for pregnant women or people with health problems" (McNeil, 9/25).

CNN: "There will be more than enough doses of the H1N1 vaccine to go around in the United States, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Thursday. 'The notion that because target groups are supposed to get it first, that there won't be enough, that we're leaving people behind, needs to be corrected,' Sebelius said at a White House briefing" (Cohen and Willingham, 9/24).

This is part of Kaiser Health News' Daily Report - a summary of health policy coverage from more than 300 news organizations. The full summary of the day's news can be found here and you can sign up for e-mail subscriptions to the Daily Report here. In addition, our staff of reporters and correspondents file original stories each day, which you can find on our home page.